Lawyers representing Governor Simon Lalong and All Progressive Congress, APC, in the governor’s election tribunal on Wednesday accused the people Democratic Party (PDP) of assassinating court proceedings.
Mr. Garba Pwul (SAN), lawyer of the All Progressive Congress (APC), while speaking with journalists after the court session, expressed his dissatisfaction with what he called the indifferent attitude that the petitioners showed on the matter. “In addition to presenting documents in court, the petitioners were not ready to continue with the process.
“It is frustrating that it is the petitioners who complain; they are the ones who have dragged us before the court to challenge the election. However, they are the ones who derail the process.”
“We are ready to continue with the procedure, and we advise that the petitioners become serious because they are not in a position to do so, we want a serious change of attitude,” said Paul.
The Nigerian News Agency (NAN) reports that the Democratic People’s Party (PDP) and its candidate for governor, Senator Jeremiah Useni, had dragged Lalong before the court in defiance of his contest and victory in the 2019 gubernatorial election.
Mr. Pius Akubo, the adviser to Governor Lalong, also expressed his sadness for the petitioner’s advice that they were not ready to continue with the case. Okubo, however, advised the petitioners to order the heir’s house and prepare to continue with his case.
“We came with renewed energy to continue the case, but unfortunately the petitioners were not ready to continue, they stated that their witnesses were not readily available. “We express our deep dissatisfaction with the petitioners’ inability to present a patent to continue with their case.
“By its nature, this case is sensitive to time. Therefore, we do not have time, we have addressed the court, and it was a wise decision, we advise that the petitioners put their house in order and prepare tomorrow,” he said.
However, the petitioner’s attorney, Mr. Mike Ozokheme (SAN), denied attempting to stop the proceedings and stated that he had so far called 66 witnesses and submitted more than 106 documents in court.
Ozokheme said that they could achieve this feat in just ten days and declared that they were ready to continue the case immediately after their witnesses were prepared to testify in court.
The presiding judge, Judge Halima Salman, had postponed the matter until July 11 to allow the petitioners to present their additional witnesses in court.